It’s all about preparation. Even the smallest result or outcome requires preparation and planning. If you just want to watch a movie on Netflix, preparation includes having an account which means having the means to pay for an account which requires having a job or sponsor. Those small steps can often be overlooked, but they shouldn’t be.
Long before Lebron James or Steph Curry hits the game winning shot, they have made that shot a thousand times in practice. Even if you’re not looking to achieve athletic prowess, take the time to come up with your game plan. One of the reasons I started this blog was to become a better writer because writing was always one of my weaker subjects in school. Writing was scarier than a math or science class. And guess what? While I’m no where near being a writer in the league with Toni Morrison (who is anyway?), I am a better writing me.
Try following these steps so you can dance under those lights of your own accomplishment:
- Set an end goal. What do you ultimately want to accomplish?
- List the practical steps needed to achieve this goal. Does it require learning a new skill and if so how are you going to acquire this skill? Does it require doing volunteer work or attending a workshop? Is there someone you can talk with or interview for help.
- For each practical step, set a realistic time frame for achieving that step. This should consider balancing current responsibilities.
- Complete one step before moving to the next.
- Because life happens, revisit and adjust the time frame and steps as needed.
- Celebrate and commemorate your accomplishment. Dance under those lights.